Wednesday, 20 August 2014

1st Week at the MTC!

Greetings from the MTC,

Firstly I want to wish my mom a happy birthday! Sorry I couldn't be there to celebrate, but recently my district leader Elder Isaksen had his 19th birthday here and all of us got some MTC cake!

Here is a list of missionaries from my district:

Elder Isaksen - Norway
Elder Eliason - South Dakota
Elder Cornelio - Brazil
Elder Crawley - Utah
Sister Nebeker - Utah
Sister Van Zyl - South Africa

We are all part of the Jacob district and so far it's been a very good experience for all of us. Their is a lot of studying, lessons and devotionals but it really has been fantastic and truly a spiritual experience for me. I'm starting to get used to the whole schedule of waking up at 6:30am and going to bed at around 10:30pm, but sometimes I like to doze off during devotionals. I can agree with the missionaries in Barnsley that the food here is very good (apart from the dinner with the spiceless curry). The food isn't particularly healthy, but they always have salad for you.

My companions are Elder Crawley and Elder Cornelio. Elder Crawley is a great missionary who has the smoothest voice. We sometimes like to say he should be a radio presenter, because it's so smooth. Elder Cornelio arrived a day late because of flight issues, however we have really grown to like him even though his English isn't very good yet. I couldn't ask for a better companionship.

The lessons taught by the MTC teachers have been very helpful in preparing us to fulfill our purpose which is "To invite others to come unto Christ, by helping them receive the restored gospel, through faith in Jesus Christ and his Atonement, Repentance, Baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end". I'm actually quite pleased I memorised this, because it is at the center of the preparing to teach cycle and secondly because it's the password for entering the front door.

Today is P day and I'm really liking it so far. We were able to go to the temple this morning which was a very spirit filled time and now we have a few hours of free time. Later today we will be having a devotional with someone from the seventy, so I'm really looking forward to that.

Thank you for sending me the letters. When the 1st letter arrived everyone got their hopes up, because the envelope was quite large and then I told them I got my call booklet which I had lost... (He didn't loose it, it was misplaced by siblings who has been tidying up the living room) .The second letter went the same way until I told them it's only a garment I left behind lol (He did not left it behind, I left it in my room when I was labeling it for him). I think they want me to get some chocolate or something. 

I heard that Bubbles (my guinea pig at home) went missing?!?! WHAT HAPPENED? I hope he's safe, because he's a very special guinea pig. I will email some pictures, but I can only attach about 2 or 3 per email. 

(Last Sunday our guinea pig went missing - mostly likely stolen by other kids in the area)

The MTC is an amazing place and It's been such a good experience so far. We are slowly, but surely getting better at our roleplaying in teaching investigators. Talk to you later.


Love,

Elder Chew


Elder Cornelio (right of Elder Chew) is the tall brown haired Elder and Elder Crawley is the tall blonde haired (left of Elder Chew) Elder. Everyone seems to be like giants compared to me and from the US.












No comments:

Post a Comment