Monday, 25 May 2015

25/05/15 - Zone Conference‏

Good afternoon, 

 We went to Zone Conference on Thursday and it was really good! I
finally gave my first gap in zone conference with Elder Tomás. A gap
is a 2 minute teaching scenario on a principle from the missionary
lessons. The night before I told Elder Tomás that we need to do our
gaps because we'll probably get chosen to do it (I was right!). 

 The trainings we received that day were helpful. Sister Jordan
explained to us the importance of the spirit in teaching. D&C 50:17-24
tells us that teaching with the spirit is God's way of teaching. She
told us that with the spirit, teaching the lessons won't be the same
every time and that we shouldn't do things by rote presentation. 

 17 Verily I say unto you, he that is ordained of me and sent forth to
preach the word of truth by the Comforter, in the Spirit of truth,
doth he preach it by the Spirit of truth or some other way? 

18 And if it be by some other way it is not of God. 

 19 And again, he that receiveth the word of truth, doth he receive it
by the Spirit of truth or some other way? 

 20 If it be some other way it is not of God. 

 21 Therefore, why is it that ye cannot understand and know, that he
that receiveth the word by the Spirit of truth receiveth it as it is
preached by the Spirit of truth? 

 22 Wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one
another, and both are edified and rejoice together. 

 23 And that which doth not edify is not of God, and is darkness. 

 24 That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and
continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth
brighter and brighter until the perfect day. 

 The assistants taught us about doing "How to Begin Teaching" which is
something that I want to improve on. Using the HTBT points in Preach
My Gospel to build the foundation of teaching and helping the
investigator to understand - keeping commitments, attending church and
baptism during the first meeting. I know that this is so important in
helping investigators to progress, which is something we really need
at the moment. 

 Yesterday it was my first time in Rothwell and we went to the old
Church of England which has a bone crypt! The people there were nice
and showed us around, but had an interesting look on their faces when
they saw our badges :) Being a missionary has strengthened my
testimony of the reality of the great apostasy (did you know that
Jesus Christ isn't mentioned in the Old Testament?).


Love,

Elder Chew

Here is a personal update on his back issues, thanks for those who is praying for him:

My back still aches, but the physiotherapist has told me to do a few exercises each day. She wants me to rock my head side to side 10 times, look left to right 10 times and twisting my upper body 10 times. Then I should use a hot water bottle for my back for 10 minutes. She said that walking everywhere with my shoulder bag is the cause of the aching. The condition I have is postal facet dysfunction. She will be giving me 4 treatments and she seems confident that she can fix it. Most of her clients have the same issue as me. I have adjusted the strap on my bag so it's closer to me which seems to be helping a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment